Thursday, September 18, 2014

I know, I know- Finally!

I'd like to try to highlight the most important impressions so far on my new adventure.

My school setting:
I love my school. No, I LOVE my school. I love, love, LOVE my school! The reason that the school had a delay in opening is because there was still construction going on- the elementary part of the building is brand new. It’s a large building built on a hill that overlooks part of Ankara. There are 3 parts- the high school, the middle school, and the elementary school- but they are all housed in the same building. It’s a bit of a labyrinth in there, but it’s really nice! There’s plenty of marble and it’s got a lot of windows for the natural light to come in.

The administration:
 Is so wonderful. On my first day I met the director of the entire school(s), Chris, and he was unbelievably nice! All the administration and staff was so welcoming (I literally must have gotten 30 “you’re Kimberly! We’re so glad you’re here! Welcome!”) it blew my mind. At Goldrick (my school in Denver) I was technically an intern, and I was mostly treated as a slight annoyance by the administration. Chris let me know that I could go home at any time if I started feeling tired or unwell. He said he’d get a car to drive me and “don’t feel at all obligated to stay, I’m so impressed you came in at all considering how late you flew in last night.” The higher-ups are so down to earth and have this genuine concern for the happiness of their employees- world’s away from my Korean employers! After lunch on the first day, I asked Chris if I could go home and with genuine concern he said, “Yes, of course you should go home! I admire your work ethic for coming in this morning. Do you have food in your apartment? Do you have a way of contacting anyone if you need anything?” I told him that yes, there was food in my apartment (they stocked it with some general stuff- milk, eggs, bread, cheese, juice, apples, cereal… it was so nice!) and I had the apartment numbers of some of the other teachers so I could knock on their door if I needed anything. He said thanks for coming in again, and walked out of his office to chat with his secretary and I overheard him tell her, “I was just talking with Kimberly, and she is just exhausted. Could you call a driver to take her home please?” The concern in his voice! It’s too good to be true to have bosses that care about my comfort and well-being! I've also gotten to speak with the Principal of the Elementary School on several occasions (he actually picked me up at the airport) and he is the same kind of genuine, delightful person I enjoy working for. 

My students:
It’s so nice to be in a school that’s actually diverse! In Denver (or at the very least at my school, Goldrick Elementary), they were always soooo proud about the “diversity” of their 99% Hispanic district- what a joke. I have a girl named Greta who is originally from Serbia, lived in Italy, and has come to Turkey this year. The students were trying to say interesting things about themselves as we got to know each other and she said, “I speak Serbian, Italian, and English and I am learning French and Turkish.” I have a boy named Joseph who is originally from Tennessee and told me, “I also speak Arabic because my Mom taught me.” These kids are so accomplished! Thinking about where I came from, where the schools de-emphasize the importance of learning English to preserve the Hispanic culture- it makes me sick. The administration there does not want students to assimilate, and that’s just a recipe for those kids to work at Taco Bell. When I come here and listen to these kids I remember, “Oh yeah! Kids can learn other languages and preserve their culture and be successful outside of where their parents grew up!” I feel like many of the people where I was tried to brainwash me into thinking that Mexicans can’t learn English- it’s too hard and we shouldn’t expect them to. That’s doing that community such a disservice and thinking about my nice students there breaks my heart. But I digress.

This one of my students, Can (pronounced John). He is a badass/cutie pants. Bonus: he looks like Harry Potter.

My Turkish co-teacher:
Her name is Aysegul (pronounced Eye-shuh-gul). She is 30, has no kids, and is single. Sound like anyone you know? She's also a sweetie pie and helps me with anything and everything and is always smiling and positive. Love her. 

My apartment:
The most important detail: it's temporary. There are a few international teachers living in the temporary apartments with me while our real lojmans (Turkish for "apartment") are still *drum roll* under construction! This one is super tiny- but it's mine so I kind of love it anyway. Our new ones should be ready in a few weeks and they are supposedly much bigger.
View when you walk in.

My bed, with Pinkie Pie poster.

Just another angle.

Bathroom.


View from my room on my third day- good sign!

Life in Ankara:
It's still a little early to have much of an impression. My new co-worker buddy Kristen (she teaches 2nd grade and is from Denver) took me out on the town for a meal and it was fun being in the city. Kind of just typical city on a Friday night- lots of people, night life, etc. I've only been out in the actual city that one time so yeeeeah- not sure yet. My school has a social committee for teachers (yep-awesome) and a bunch of us went to Latin Night at the French Embassy last Saturday(it was at the French Embassy because it has a nice lawn... that's what I was told, anyway). It was an amazing, elegant party and it was incredibly fun. Food, drinks, dancing- hells yes.

French Embassy looking glorious.

Dance party!
Food and frivolity!

This weekend the social committee has organized a pub crawl and you bet your butt I'm going. Next weekend a bunch of us teachers have tickets for Oktoberfest at the German Embassy. Then we have a holiday October 3rd-7th, and my new friend Kristen and I are planning a trip to Istanbul.

So yes, I love it here. Honestly, I can't think of one negative thing to say. I'll try: I guess my temporary apartment is a bit small. GASP.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great first blog. Very informative and reeking of happiness. Love the photos and your descriptions of everything and everyone. Thanks for giving us such a clear picture of your life there, as it unfolds. Love, Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! I will try to have more pics up soon- especially of my school!

    ReplyDelete