On March 2nd, I started my first Whole30. I made the decision right after my trip to Istanbul with my friends from home. During our trip, I felt lazy, overweight, not attractive, and generally not happy with my body. I was also aware that I was deeply addicted to sugar, culminating on that trip with having 6 pieces of baklava for dinner (yep, that really happened and it was quite an eye opener). Something had to change.
I’ve been eating mostly Paleo, off and on but mostly on, for about a year and a half now.
When I first starting eating Paleo in Colorado I lost a ton of weight and felt much better about myself. I looked and felt amazing. Then when I left Colorado things began to slide. Me eating “mostly Paleo” during this time means that I cooked the vast majority of my meals, made things like cauliflower crust pizza (it’s quite delicious), sweet potato pancakes made with coconut flower topped with maple syrup and rasberries (one of my favorites), but when I ate out or at my parents house I usually didn’t abide by these rules. I absolutely love vegetables, so adding heaps of veggies to every meal wasn’t ever an issue. These Paleo “rules” include a lot of exceptions, especially when it comes to sweeteners and dairy.
Since being in Turkey I tried to make Paleo choices most of the time, but I wanted to try all the new Turkish cuisine so I definitely ate the breads and yummy desserts often (I cannot emphasize enough how delicious I find baklava).
Then we all left Istanbul, and I wanted my Paleo body back. But how? I’d forgotten how to be strict with this diet anymore. I’d heard of the Whole30, a 30 day cleanse/reset, and decided to buy the book It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, which is where the Whole30 comes from. If you’re interested in doing a Whole30, start by reading this book. Here’s the outline from Amazon:
“It Starts With Food outlines a clear, balanced, sustainable plan to change the way you eat forever—and transform your life in profound and unexpected ways. Your success story begins with the Whole30®, Dallas and Melissa Hartwig’s powerful 30-day nutritional reset.
Since 2009, their underground Whole30 program has quietly led tens of thousands of people to weight loss, enhanced quality of life, and a healthier relationship with food—accompanied by stunning improvements in sleep, energy levels, mood, and self-esteem. More significant, many people have reported the “magical” elimination of a variety of symptoms, diseases, and conditions in just 30 days. Now, Dallas and Melissa detail not just the “how” of the Whole30, but also the “why,” summarizing the science in a simple, accessible manner. It Starts With Food reveals how specific foods may be having negative effects on how you look, feel, and live—in ways that you’d never associate with your diet. More important, they outline their lifelong strategy for eating Good Food in one clear and detailed action plan designed to help you create a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, calm systemic inflammation, and put an end to unhealthy cravings, habits, and relationships with food.
Infused with the Hartwigs’ signature wit, tough love, and common sense, It Starts With Food is based on the latest scientific research and real-life experience, and includes testimonials, a detailed shopping guide, a meal-planning template, a Meal Map with creative, delicious recipes, and much more.”
The Whole30 in a nutshell:
This is very similar to paleo, but it is a LOT more strict. When they say no dairy, they mean NO dairy, where paleo approves grass-fed organic hippy cheese. The big difference for me is the no sugar rule. By no sugar, they mean no sugar substitutes of any kind: no maple syrup, honey, stevia, NADA. You must avoid any and all products that contain these hidden sugars. You are also discouraged from making any things you miss “paleo-ized.” This is because you are trying to reset any and all cravings for unhealthy comfort foods. No more paleo pancakes for me!
The one exception I made to these rules was the alcohol. The first 2 weeks I didn’t drink any. Then I started going out and it was Spring Break and I made the deal with myself that I would not buy any alcohol, but only take what was offered. I still have this rule and it’s pretty much the greatest thing ever for 3 reasons: I’m not spending money on drinks, I’m drinking less overall (no occasional glass of wine or beer with dinner to relax at home), and men buying me drinks just makes me smile. I know that last one is not very feminist of me, but I can’t help it.
Fast forward to today, I am on day 28, and I feel absolutely amazing. I’m body confident and I fit into clothes that didn’t fit before starting. My skin is glowing- I haven’t had a break out since starting. My mood has improved exponentially. Even my students have commented saying things like, “Ms. Kimberly, you’re jolly today!” Before my friends came to visit, I had been in a mood slump. Not for any particular reason, I just felt off.
![]() |
| Happy teacher, happy students! |
| Feeling great means more selfies (this was my parent-teacher conference day style). |
![]() |
| Trying out a hair experiment for the second day of parent-teacher conferences. |
Now you say, “but wait- you were in France for Spring Break. You didn’t do this during Spring Break in France.” Au contraire! All the time I was in France I did not have any grains, cheese, or desserts that were at the hostel. No baguette, croissants, donuts (they offered this as an après ski snack), pain au chocolat, many yogurt options that were stocked in the fridge, or any of the delicious cheese plate. This made my breakfast options EXTREMELY limited, as breakfast was continental style. Was I miserable, looking at the baguette and brie and letting out deep sighs? Not at all. By the time I got to France, my tastes had already begun to change so those things didn’t even tempt me. Can I guarantee that the sauce on the pork didn’t have butter and sugar? Hell no. But I made the conscience choices to avoid what could be avoided and I think I did a pretty damn good job.
| My breakfast every day in France: 3 slices of ham, 2 oranges, and black coffee. |
Things I learned from the Whole30:
• When I first started, I relied on nuts and dried fruit to satisfy sweet cravings (dates and figs-yummmm). I started limiting them to having a little bit every other day. Now I go days without them and they are no longer a crutch. (Although I do make my own nut butters for an occasional meal top off with an apple.)
![]() |
| Half almonds and half hazelnuts |
![]() |
| Blended with cinnamon, salt, and tahini |
![]() |
| Super delish. |
• I LOVE olives. I have them at almost every meal.
- If I start the day with fruit, I will crave sweet things throughout the day. Fruit comes at lunch or dinnertime only.
• The switch to black coffee was simple. I don’t even miss my stevia.
• Bringing my protein to school is a better option than rolling the dice at the cafeteria. Thank goodness for the salad bar.
• Fresh fruit is amazing and I have 1 or 2 servings a day. Oranges make my mouth water.
• My favorite breakfast that I’ve made every morning for the past 2 weeks is menemen- a Turkish egg dish that’s eggs in tomato sauce- with a side of olives and black coffee.
![]() |
| My favorite way to start the day |
• If I eat 2 eggs for breakfast I’ll be hungry in 2 hours. Gotta start with 3.
• Snacking isn’t really something I do anymore.
• I’m more in tune with what my body needs. During lunch at the hostel in France I ate a bit and thought, “huh. I’m not very hungry. Why am I not hungry?” It’s because I had taken the morning off and hadn’t snowboarded that day yet. I can feel my body’s hunger signals much better.
• I drink a LOT of tea and the best one that I got from the spice bazaar in Istanbul is cinnamon, orange, and pomegranate tea.
![]() |
| "Relax tea" from Istanbul is also wonderful. |
• Purred carrots with cinnamon and allspice taste like a treat.
![]() |
| Turkey with rosemary and sage, purred carrots, and roasted brussels sprouts. Don't even think for a minute I was deprived of delectable food during my Whole30! |
If you’re interested in having a better relationship with food (want to stop mindless snacking, a sugar addiction, whatever it may be) I cannot recommend this enough. It’s just 30 days and it WILL give you a better perspective on your eating habits. You’ll also lose weight and inches.
It’s day 28, and right now I’m scared about the end. I don’t want to go back to mindless snacking and sugar addiction! I’m thinking about making it a Whole60. We will see.












No comments:
Post a Comment